Otodectes cynotis, which is also known as ear mites, is a type of ectoparasite that usually lives in the ear canal of your pet. They feed themselves from the ear wax in your pet’s ear and will affect your pet regardless of age or breed. Ear mites are highly contagious, which means they can be passed on from one pet to another.
These parasites are commonly found in cats, dogs, rabbits and can be seen under the microscope or sometimes the naked eye, as tiny moving white spots.
Here are some signs (includes, but not limited to) which indicates that your pet might be suffering from an ear infection:
- Repeated scratching of the ears
- Odour from their ears
- Redness at the ear canal
- Dark ear wax and flakes
If you suspect that your pet is suffering from these symptoms, bring them down to a vet clinic as soon as possible so that they can get treated. Typically, the vet will do an ear swab or otoscope examination to confirm the diagnosis to be able to prescribed the medications necessary. Sometimes, antibiotic ear drops are also required due to secondary bacteria and yeast infection which is common with ear mites.
By Nurse Li Tong